Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Everyday Stuff

           I went home to see my host family today and it was exactly what I needed.  Small girls running excitedly towards you calling your name can make anyone happy. :) We all had fun outside in the late afternoon air.  Later I spent some time chatting with mama as she fed the ever-growing chickens.  I washed dishes with Jessie and fetched water with the girls.  Once when Erianna was filling her small jerrican it got stuck on the pipe and the jerrican was already full so water was spraying everywhere.  It was spraying over Erianna and Maria's heads as they laughed and shrieked and tried frantically to turn off the water.  Eventually, I got in there and managed to finally turn it off.  We all let out an abnormally loud exhale of relief and then exploded into laughter.  We were all soaked!
           After fetching water I took tea and bread with the family.  Florence came home and nursed and bathed baby Sauna while Jessie put away dishes, mama snoozed on the couch and I sat watching some Luganda soap opera with Shillow and Erianna on my lap.
           I love the everyday stuff.  I love that chickens are running around the compound, that toddler Vicky peeks at me through a nearby bush, that my fingers accidentally bump mama's toes because she lounges with her bare feet up, that Maria knows each plant that grows in the yard and how each one is cooked, that Florence greets my in Luganda, that Shillow comfortably falls asleep in my arms and that mama says, "thanks for visiting your family."
           This is the everyday stuff of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment